Monday, May 10, 2010

Linguine with Cauliflower and Bacon


This is a new twist on an old favorite:  linguine with cauliflower and bacon.  In the fall, I wrote a post about pasta with cauliflower, green olives, and almonds.  It was a lovely dish, with a perfect balance of savory flavors and textures.  This recipe is similar:  pasta with beautifully caramelized cauliflower, swathed in garlic and hot pepper flakes.  However, instead of saltiness from green olives, and crunch from toasted almonds, bacon takes over, boasting both salt and crunch. 
I will not try to be coy about it: this is not a low fat dish.  I started this by rendering chopped bacon in a pan.  When it was crisp, I set it aside, and proceeded to cook the cauliflower in some of the remaining bacon grease.  However, the cauliflower wasn’t caramelizing to my specifications, so I proceeded to add some butter to the pan.  Later, while tossing the pasta with the cauliflower, it seemed dry, and I added a drizzle of olive oil.  And, of course, the pasta is finished with the crispy bacon and feathery ribbons of parmesan. I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear that this was absolutely delicious. When I concocted this idea in my food-obsessed brain, I was most excited about the flavor the bacon grease would impart upon the cauliflower.  However, this did not fully live up to my expectations.  I made it a second time a week later, and cooked the cauliflower in olive oil, thus saving my arteries from unnecessary saturated fats, and difference was minimal.  Nonetheless, there is no substitute for the crispy bacon garnish.  Despite all the olive oil, and butter, (and potentially, bacon grease), if you follow the measurements below, this dish is loaded with cauliflower.  Cauliflower, in turn, is loaded with vitamin C and fiber, thus negating some concerns you may have regarding the bacon.  Personally, I think those crispy, salty, meaty morsels are worth their weight in gold.    
Linguine with Cauliflower and Bacon (makes 2 large servings)

1/3 pound bacon, chopped
1 ½ pounds cauliflower, chopped
1/3-1/2 pound pasta
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ hot pepper flakes
pepper
salt
¼ cup parsley, chopped
½ tablespoon butter (optional)
olive oil
2 tablespoons of water

·      Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon for about 8-10 minutes, stirring often, and until browned and crisp.
·      Remove crisped bacon from the pan and drain on a plate lined with paper towel.  Set aside (and try not to eat too much of it).
·      For the high fate version: using paper towels, carefully mop up all but 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease.  For the lower fate version, wipe up all of the bacon grease and add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. 
·      Increase the heat to medium high, and add the cauliflower.  Stir to even goat with the olive oil or bacon grease.  Allow to cook, for about 20 minutes total.  Stir every 5-7 minutes, leaving it undisturbed when possible so it will caramelize.  If it isn’t browning well, add about ½ tablespoon of butter (it has a lower smoke point than olive oil/bacon grease, thus it assists with browning).
·      In the last 5 or so minutes of cooking, add minced garlic, hot pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
·      Meanwhile, cook linguine in a pot of boiling water according to package directions.  Drain linguine when it’s ready, reserving some of the pasta cooking water.  Or you can use tongs and pull the linguine directly from the pot and add to the pan of cauliflower.
·      Toss the linguine with the cauliflower and parsley.  Add a few tablespoons of pasta cooking water and/or a drizzle of olive oil if the pasta is dry.
·      Plate pasta and garnish with reserved bacon and parmesan cheese.

21 comments:

  1. This is good as an appetizer and best eaten when you eating outdoor like camping. I'd like to prepare this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was most excited about the flavor the bacon grease would impart upon the cauliflower. However, this did not fully live up to my expectations. I made it a second time a week later, and cooked the cauliflower in olive oil, thus saving my arteries from unnecessary saturated fats,and difference was minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't try this before and try to make for myself wish me gud luck and thanx for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its really good as an appetizer and best eaten when you eating outdoor like camping. I'd like to prepare this sometime. thanx for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made it a second time a week later, and cooked the cauliflower in olive oil, thus saving my arteries from unnecessary saturated fats,and difference was minimal. Thanx for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cooked the cauliflower in olive oil, thus saving my arteries from unnecessary saturated fats,and difference was minimal. What can i do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Combine bacon and onion mixture with pasta. Add fresh ground pepper and serve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I'd like to prepare this sometime. thanx for sharing your talent with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I'd like to prepare this sometime, thanx for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't taste this yet.I hope i have time to cook for this, I will save your recipe so if ever i have time will try this one.Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I made it a second time a week later, and cooked the cauliflower in olive oil, thus saving my arteries from unnecessary saturated fats,and difference was minimal. thanx for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's pasta again..I really thank you for posting this recipe..Pasta is always be my weakness. ")

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome recipe, I'd like to prepare this sometime. thanx for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw an episode of Iron Chef (the original Japanese version and not IC America). The challenger takes linguine out of a pot, dumps it into a pan with dried scallop. Then he dunks spinach leaves into the pan and instantly the pasta starts turning green

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I hope i have time to cook for this, I will save your recipe so if ever i have time will try this one.Thank you for sharing it, i must try this at home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love your recipe and must try this at home, hope that my friends like it, thanx for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved it! I used a ton of veggies (entire head of cauliflower and almost as much broccoli). I made a double batch of the sauce, but didn't use it all. My husband thought there was too much sauce, but I thought it was great. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great simple recipe. I took it to a potluck. I used pre-packaged real bacon bits and it still tasted great. This would be good with lettuce in the bottom too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent! Parmesan definitely adds a good flavor. Will make again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of my all-time FAVORITE foods! It is sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow..I never tried eating that food..But seems very yummy. I wanna have it.

    ReplyDelete